4 May 2016, with Lucy Biddle

4 May 2016

In this initial session, I introduced ‘The Other Story’ Online: Digital Exhibition Histories. Sharing some of my research into ‘The Other Story: Afro-Asian Artists in Post-War Britain’ (1989–90), I led a tour through installation images of the show at the Hayward Gallery, London – while setting out my ambitions to develop a microsite online in response. We were joined by Lucy Biddle, Interpretation Manager at the Hayward Gallery who spoke about her collaboration with Google Cultural Institute to document selected historic shows as part of the Gallery’s 50th anniversary celebrations in 2018.

It was a pleasure to engage students across courses at Central Saint Martins – drawing principally from the MRes Art and MA Culture, Criticism and Curation programmes, but also more broadly. UAL colleagues involved in the Afterall Research Centre, which I am part of, and in the Black Artists and Modernism project also took part.

Lucy Biddle kindly emailed me in follow-up: ‘I really appreciated the chance to take part in your discussion group yesterday. Thought-provoking in a number of ways.’

This entry was posted in Uncategorised. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to 4 May 2016, with Lucy Biddle

1. Louis H says:

I thought this was a provocative introductory session, with two distinct (perhaps contending) motivations for and attempts at revisiting ‘The Other Story’. Within this, there were a number of questions regarding what it may mean to reconstruct, in an expanded sense, an exhibition such as this, up to and including what it means politically and formally to do this today.

Of particular interest in this regard was Lucy Steeds’s exhibition walk-through in which she introduced a typical negotiation of the exhibition, lingering on the details of each artist as we passed them. What was most convincing in this was not only recognising just how many of the names may now be unfamiliar, but also in registering the exhibition’s distinctive political imperatives and challenges that cannot but resonate.

I think it should be pretty interesting to measure, once both have been realised, the distance between the two projects in order to gauge how each are shaped by their respective institutional parameters.